Wednesday, April 17, 2002

Sunday morning. As much as I attempted to get out of the dorm early, I waited until around 11. We headed out straight to Cimetière du Père Lachaise (http://www.gargl.net/lachaise/index.html). When we were leaving the Foundation, the clouds started to gather already… once we got there, it started to drizzle a little. But we carried on anywayz. The cemetery was huge… we kept on walking and get lost, walking and get lost… The trees were all very ancient and lofty. It felt like another world in the cemetery. There were petit alleyways, winding paths and green tree tunnels all over the place. On top of that, the designs of the tombs/graves are a form of art and architecture. It is really another world on its own…

After the rather “heavy” tour of Cimetière du Père Lachaise, I decided that I will save Versailles for the last weekend in France. The reason being it was late already and I really really really really really really wanted to see Musée Rodin (http://www.musee-rodin.fr/). We hopped on the Metro, and headed towards the Invalides. It was a beautiful afternoon. We walked from the Invalides to Musée Rodin. Since the weather was great, we started with the garden. The Gates of Hell was a bit smaller than I imagined. Nonetheless, the details were amazing. I don’t know how long I stood there for… but when I turned around, no one was around except Lindsay… Then we took a walk in the garden… I loved the organization of the garden. You could just walk between the trees, here and there, a sculpture would be there to surprise you.

Then we went into the main building. And finally, at last, I saw “La main de Dieu” in person. After all those time thinking about it! It was bigger then I thought it would be. I guess when you are only given dimensions and seen it on pictures, it’s hard to really picture the size of an art work.

So that was my Sunday… On the way walking to the metro home, this thought popped up in my head. It was a weird feeling… how I was just walking with Lindsay in Paris, we didn’t even need a map or a guide book. All we did was decide where to go, and we had a general idea of where it was, and we just hopped on the Metro and off we went. We walked around at least half of the city on our own! I just love traveling… but what I love even more is the feeling of getting to know a city really well, and become part of the city…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home